Additional office hours by appointment
- Ph.D. in History, Yale University
- M. Phil in History, Yale University
- M.A. in History, Yale University
- B.A. in History and Asian Studies with highest honors, Williams College
Janet Chen is Associate Professor of History and East Asian Studies, specializing in twentieth-century China. Her first book, Guilty of Indigence: The Urban Poor in China, 1900-1953 (Princeton University Press, 2012), is a study of the destitute homeless during a time of war and revolution. A new book project underway, titled “The Sounds of Mandarin: The Making of a National Language in China and Taiwan,” will be a study of how ordinary people learned to speak “Mandarin” at its various stages of historical formation.
- Guilty of Indigence: The Urban Poor in China, 1900-1953