East Asian Language Studies

A.B. Language Requirement

All A.B. candidates who have not fulfilled the language requirement on the basis of advanced placement must study a language at Princeton.

Language Placement Test

If you wish to continue studying a language that you have previously studied in high school, you will need to take a placement test. The placement tests in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean should be taken online between June 15 and August 24. You may access the test by way of this web site, which will provide detailed instructions and access information.   If you would like to study a new language at Princeton, you may simply register for the first course in the language sequence (normally 101).

When to Enroll in a Foreign Language

If you are taking a language course to meet the A.B. language requirement, it is advisable to get started as soon as possible. Beginning language courses (Chinese 101, Japanese 101, or Korean 101) are not offered in the spring term, so if you are starting from the 101 level and choose not to take a language course in your first semester, you will have to wait until the fall of your sophomore year. This, in turn, means that you would be completing the language requirement during your junior year, along with junior independent work and departmental courses. If you are entering a language at the 105 or 108 level, you risk forgetting what you know if you wait until sophomore year to fulfill the requirement. The best advice is to complete the language requirement without delay. Remember that a 101-level language course will not count toward your degree unless you take the 102-level course.

For additional information about language study in the East Asian Studies Department, see Chinese, Japanese, or Korean at the links in the left-hand menu, or contact one of the the senior language lecturers: Jing Wang (Chinese); Shinji Sato (Japanese); Ho Jung Choi (Korean).